(Towson, MD) Immediate Job Opening: Forest Stewardship Instructor
October 11, 2019
The Gunpowder Valley Conservancy (GVC), a Baltimore County-based land trust and watershed restoration organization, is seeking an experienced Environmental Educator to lead two Forest Stewardship volunteer events this fall. These events will focus on invasive plant identification and removal, and planting native vegetation in sections of Loch Raven Reservoir. This is a temporary position for up to 20 hours of work in October and/or November 2019; position may open again for Spring of 2020.
Pay rate: $20/hour for up to a total of 20 hours. This includes tasks associated with workshop preparation (e.g. buying native plants in advance) and the scheduled workshop dates.
• Lead volunteer workshops in Loch Raven Reservoir on two of the following dates: October 19, October 26, November 2, November 9, or November 16. Each workshop will be 3 hours long (10 am – 1 pm)
• Teach invasive plant identification to volunteers
• Remove invasive plants along 100 feet of trail in Loch Raven Reservoir and replace with native plants (approx. 50 quart-gallon size plants per workshop)
• Work with children, teens, college students, adults, senior citizens, business groups and family volunteers
• Order, pick up and hold native plants at home until workshop day
• Take digital photographs to document events and send to web master and Program Director for grant reports and publicity
• Notify registrants in event of cancellation; send registration lists to Program Director prior to event
• Knowledge of invasive and native plants
• Experience in project management, plant identification, and leading workshops
• Experience supervising and leading volunteers
• Ability to work with diverse groups of people of different backgrounds and ages
• Must have own transportation, access to internet, cell phone and digital camera for event use.
• Strong commitment to environmental issues
• Preference given to those who are familiar with Gunpowder Watershed and understanding of local environmental issues
• Must work Saturdays
• Required documentation or correspondence will be conducted from home
• Prefer if candidate has a Bachelor’s degree with 2 years minimum related experience
How to apply
Forest Steward Instructor will report to Peg Perry, GVC Education and Restoration Program Director. Please email resume and cover letter to Peg Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 11, 2019.
Learn more about the Gunpowder Valley Conservancy: