The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC)’s Director of Community Forestry and TreeVitalize Pittsburgh jointly with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Section Chief for the Bureau of Rural and Community Forestry. Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC), in cooperation with the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation & Natural Resources (DCNR) Bureau of Forestry (BOF), seeks a highly motivated, driven, and well-organized individual to help promote and manage urban and community forestry efforts in Pennsylvania. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, exhibit outstanding planning skills, and demonstrate the ability to build trusting relationships with cross-sector partners. Knowledge of urban and community forestry, tree identification, and PA natural resources is desirable. Competencies in supervisory skills, grant management, and partnership building are highly valuable. A four-year degree in natural resources, environmental studies, or urban planning or a related degree and equivalent experience are required. Must be willing to travel around PA for site visits and meetings on a regular basis.
The purpose of this position is to further the goals of the Bureau of Forestry’s Urban & Community Forestry Program, also known as TreeVitalize. The TreeVitalize Program seeks to educate citizens and increase quality of life for Pennsylvanians in urban/suburban settings through tree planting and tree care work. TreeVitalize helps citizens understand the myriad benefits of planting trees, the importance of keeping existing trees in the community healthy, and the value of sufficient tree canopy. The program also encourages and provides outlets for citizens and municipalities to take action to improve their urban and community forest.
- Guide and manage the TreeVitalize program statewide, providing leadership and coordination among the TreeVitalize Partnership across the Commonwealth
- Coordinate and advocate for resources including funding, reporting, broader messaging, training, etc. of the TreeVitalize Partnership to build the group’s collective momentum
- Provide strategic input and direction, assistance, and information to the State Forester’s office, Divisions, and field offices of the Bureau by conducting support activities for the Bureau’s Urban and Community Forestry program
- Position based at the Bureau of Forestry’s Central Office in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania–with remote working options available with a PA residence
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a natural resource-related/environmental field; minimum of three years of experience required
- A strong interest in urban and community forestry, community greening work, and community engagement
- Experience with project management, such as fundraising, managing grants, developing and managing budgets, building partnerships, and supervising staff
- Experience in running statewide, multi-county, or other large-scale programs or projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; must have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders from all backgrounds, including community leaders, government officials, Commonwealth citizens
- Excellent organizational skills and able to handle multiple tasks and priorities at a fast pace
- Excellent work ethic, drive, and motivation to succeed as an individual and a team player
- Self-starter: able to set goals, carry out complex projects and document results
- Team-builder: work collaboratively with and provide leadership to internal and external teams
- Public presentation experience and skills required
- Must be flexible with schedule and willing to work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be willing/able to travel to various locations throughout the Commonwealth, and beyond, on a regular basis
- Degrees, certificates, coursework, or experience in business, communications, marketing or other subjects that would be helpful to the position
- Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) software applications
- Experience leading public-private partnerships
- Some horticultural and/or forestry expertise is desirable
- Prior supervisory experience
Location: The position is based in Harrisburg, Pa.
Position Duration: This is a full-time position with benefits.
Pay: We offer a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
Application Process: Please send a letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com and list Treevitalize Program Supervisor in the subject line.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2021