Nanticoke Watershed Alliance (NWA) is a nonprofit that operates within the Nanticoke River watershed. NWA is currently seeking two Green Infrastructure (GI) Interns for work to begin on June 1, 2022, and end no earlier than mid-August 2022. Preferably, GI Interns would have availability into autumn 2022.
GI Interns will mostly work in the Delaware portion of the Nanticoke River watershed. Work locations will vary and may include Laurel, Seaford, Bridgeville, and Greenwood, DE, as well as Cambridge, MD. GI Interns will work 100% outdoors and must be comfortable working in hot, humid conditions and lifting up to 50 pounds. During the summer months, GI Interns will work 28-35 hours per week. Work hours in September and October will be dependent on available projects but will likely not exceed 15 hours per week.
GI Interns should be prepared to:
• Actively maintain green infrastructure projects by weeding, watering, and mulching,
• Follow verbal and written instructions,
• Read and follow stormwater and planting plans,
• Interact with municipal employees, town residents, residential clients, and NWA staff and volunteers in a pleasant, cooperative manner,
• Plant herbaceous perennials, shrubs, and trees according to best management practices,
• Remove invasive plant species,
• Remove trash from GI installations,
• Maintain provided tool kits, and
• Complete other tasks as assigned.
GI Interns must have reliable transportation and a current, valid driver’s license. GI Interns must be at least 18 years of age. Further, GI Interns are expected to be professional and courteous while at project sites. While prior experience in gardening and knowledge about native and invasive plants are helpful, no prior experience is required. Successful candidates will undergo an orientation prior to field work, as well as in-the-field training at municipal work sites, and must be able to communicate effectively with NWA staff, municipal employees, and community members.
GI Interns will earn $15 per hour as contractual employees. GI Interns will also qualify for mileage reimbursement. All necessary tools will be provided. GI Interns must also be willing to follow rules dictated by COVID-19 at the time of employment.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, a resume, and three references to Beth Wasden at BethWasden@NanticokeRiver.org. These positions will remain open until they are filled, but applicants who submit materials by April 1 will receive highest consideration.