The University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES) invites applications for a Web Development Intern. The successful candidate will work with an established and dynamic team in partnership with Chesapeake Bay Program staff at the Chesapeake Bay Program office in Annapolis, Maryland. The Chesapeake Bay Program maintains several websites as a primary method of informing citizens and stakeholders about Chesapeake Bay protection and restoration efforts. A vast array of audience groups rely on key web-based communications as the method for staying abreast of key issues facing Chesapeake Bay restoration.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Director of Web Development and with key web and communications team staff that are engaged with multiple partners in developing the best websites and web applications. Typical areas of responsibility for this position will include:
- Assist in the design, creation, population, and maintenance of backend databases to support Chesapeake Bay Program websites based on MySQL.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of content management systems (ExpressionEngine and Craft CMS) for the Chesapeake Bay Program partnership websites.
- Assist in the management, tracking and resolution of support requests.
- Assist in maintaining version controlled code and in the deployment process.
- Assist in the development of websites optimized for mobile devices using responsive web design.
- Participate in usability testing review sessions
This internship would be a great opportunity to earn work experience for graduate or advanced undergraduate students with backgrounds in web development. A background in web design, user experience and excellent communication skills are desired.
The position will be a contractual hourly paid position with subsidized health benefits available depending on the number of hours worked. This contractual position is for 6 months with an extension of an additional 6 months. The funding for this position is from a federal grant and contingent upon continued funding. Please e-mail a letter of interest, resume, online portfolio and contact information for 3 references prior to 22 June 2018 to Guy Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org. This search will remain open until filled. UMCES is an AA/EOE. Individuals with disabilities, veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.