Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, MobilizeGreen seeks an Urban Conservation Crew Leader for our 2022 Spring program. The Crew Leader is responsible for co-leading a team of 12 high-school youth to work on conservation-related projects and participate in environmental education and leadership development activities at John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge (JHNWR) in Philadelphia, PA over a series of 12 weekend days.
The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. Crew Leaders work in collaboration with a co-leader to facilitate student and group safety, personal development, environmental education, and work project management. Crew Leaders also represent MobilizeGreen on-site and coordinate with partners on designated projects. All Crew Leaders must attend a pre-program training.
Term: 12 weekend days (Plus a week on the front/back for wrapping-up), plus orientation day, starting on or about March 5th until about June 18th (option to extend into full-time role for the 2022 Urban Conservation Crew summer crew)
- $160/week (No more than 8-10 hours/week)
- Hands-on training and learning experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Crew Members during all program activities and projects
- Provide an emotionally and physically safe environment in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Work with co-leader to manage group dynamics of the crew
- Assist with Environmental Education and team building lessons during crew days
- Drive van with crew members to/from project site
Service Project Advisor
- Train and supervise Crew Members in safe and proper use of tools and all aspects of the service project (may include trail construction, maintenance, wildlife habitat work, site restoration, etc.)
- Facilitate worksite and project, tool and equipment logistics; tool maintenance; and work schedule in partnership with Project Leader and JHNWR Staff.
- Care for and maintain all program equipment and tools used in any projects.
- Manage administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily work logs, incident reports, equipment inventories, evaluations and final report.
- Communicate with full-time MobilizeGreen and JHNWR staff as required and as needed to report incidents & near misses, and program evaluations.
Other duties as assigned
Requirements During Term of Service:
- Uphold and act in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Communicate effectively with MobilizeGreen staff, parents, agency partners, and co-leader during program
- Participate fully in Crew Leader Orientation and any safety trainings.
- Maintain positive relationship with agency partners.
- Provide emotionally and physically safe environment for members.
- Maintain a positive, professional relationship with co-leader.
- Complete all necessary post-program paperwork, including an end of program debrief with MobilizeGreen Staff.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with no major violations w/in past 3 years.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must be comfortable driving a minivan in an urban environment.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification or willingness to get this before start of program.
- Youth/Young Adult Programming- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching / Leadership-Experience working in an informal or formal educational environment or equivalent. Demonstrated ability to organize and effectively teach lessons, motivate teenage and/or young adult students, provide and accept constructive feedback and communicate effectively.
- Outdoor Education / Skills-Experience / familiarity with outdoor skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, Leave No Trace, etc.
- Conservation Project Skills-Experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use. May also include experience with carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This is physically demanding work. The work conditions are challenging and require the ability to handle strenuous work conditions, such as steep terrain, as well as environmental conditions, including rain and extreme heat. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Crew Leaders will be expected to stand, walk, and carry gear for up to 8 hours per day while keeping morale up among members.