Join the passionate and dynamic team at Potomac Riverkeeper Network to direct our litigation and programs with our three talented and experienced Riverkeepers. This is an exceptional opportunity to step into a highly effective organization and make your dream come true, protecting the beautiful Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. We seek an experienced environmental attorney who shares our commitment to PRKN’s mission and values and who welcomes the opportunity to work with Riverkeepers to make our rivers cleaner and safer to all to use and enjoy.
This position involves several essential functions for PRKN – developing litigation in partnership with the Riverkeepers, managing those cases with our pro bono counsel, overseeing program implementation and strategy, and serving as general counsel for legal issues arising within PRKN. This is a senior position reporting directly to the President.
Program Management Responsibilities
This position involves setting the strategic direction for program implementation with the staff and Board of PRKN and ensuring its effective implementation.
- Provide leadership in programmatic and organizational planning
- Manage the work of the three Riverkeepers (Potomac, Upper Potomac and Shenandoah)
- Develop and implement new program campaigns in consultation with the President and Riverkeepers
- Work with the Riverkeepers to prepare and follow annual work plans, consistent with the organization’s watershed planning priorities
- Establish strong working relationships and personnel management system to ensure high performance from program staff and consultants
- Identify and recruit technical and scientific experts as needed to support the organization’s program work
- Serve as senior organizational representative to outside partners and coalitions
- Represent PRKN in legislative and policy lobbying work with local, state and federal regulatory and elected officials
- Serve as a resource to the PRKN Board on all program matters, including presenting quarterly Program Reports at each Board meeting
Counsel and Litigation Responsibilities:
This position serves as the lead counsel for PRKN in both internal and external legal matters.
- Work with pro-bono legal partners to manage a diverse array of environmental litigation matters. The VP of Programs and Litigation will guide our legal partners in decisions through all phases of litigation, including settlement negotiations, pleading, discovery, motion practice, briefing, hearing, and appeal.
- Serve as in‐house counsel on legal issues affecting the organization.
- Serve as legal resource to the PRKN Board and President on all legal matters relating to program and litigation work, and other legal matters relating to nonprofit organization operations as needed.
- Work with the Litigation Committee to keep the Committee updated on Litigation matters and obtain Committee approval for the initiation of new litigation as required by the PRKN bylaws. .
- Serve as PRKN spokesperson to the media, elected officials and the public, primarily when it pertains to litigation matters but also as a backup to the President and Riverkeepers as needed.
- Work with the organization’s Riverkeepers in the field and in their offices to help identify and evaluate litigation priorities to further PRKN’s overall program and mission objectives.
- Oversee and manage the duties of legal interns and legal fellows
- Coordinate, recruit, engage, and acknowledge PRKN’s network of pro bono attorneys, including individuals, law firms, university clinics, and public interest organizations.
- Provide direction and support for PRKN and the individual Keepers’ field investigations, enforcement strategy, and overall prioritization of program work to ensure consistency with PRKN’s mission and watershed planning priorities
- Assist the VP of Development and President in the preparation of funding proposals and reports as necessary to ensure timely and accurate reporting to funders, and solicitation of new funding sources.
- Represent PRKN at fundraising events and in meetings with current and prospective major donors and foundation representatives as needed to support the President and VP of Development.
- Work closely with the Communications Director to develop timely, accurate and compelling external communications, g. press releases, blogs, e-newsletters, quarterly print newsletters and Annual Reports
- Law degree from an accredited law school and active membership at least one state bar (need not be within the watershed)
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of experience in working in environmental law and policy
- Outstanding writing and communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong interpersonal skills for working closely with staff, board, and outside counsel
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with flexibility and attention to detail and in collaboration with staff and partners
- Demonstrated success in working as a member of a small team and developing effective working relationships with staff, board, volunteers, and the public
- A strong work ethic and the highest standards of personal integrity
- Commitment to PRKN’s mission and values, including bringing the benefits of clean water to diverse and underserved communities
Benefits of this position
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are working to make the Potomac and Shenandoah cleaner and safer for everyone to use and enjoy
- A top-notch team of professionals with whom to work
- Salary of between $100,000 and $150,000 depending on experience
- Full benefits package including health insurance, retirement benefits, generous vacation and time off for holidays, and flexible work arrangements
- Private office space in our beautiful office on M Street in Georgetown in DC, but the option of working remotely from other venues to the extent consistent with job requirements
- Lots of fun activities with your colleagues and our members, including paddle, raft, and fishing trips
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter expressing your specific interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org