Virginia Administrative Assistant- Chesapeake Bay Foundation (Richmond, VA)
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation
November 7, 2021
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Virginia Administrative Assistant in the VA EPR Department to be based at our Richmond, VA office.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 210 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $30 million and is supported by over 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
Environmental Protection and Restoration
CBF’s Environmental Protection and Restoration department defends and restores the Chesapeake Bay by protecting the Bay’s natural resources from pollution and other harmful activities by fighting for strong and effective laws and regulations; restoring the Bay’s essential habitats and filtering mechanisms; and involving citizens in CBF’s environmental efforts by recruiting, training, and incorporating them as effective partners and leaders.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Virginia Administrative provides professional administrative support for Virginia Office staff.
Essential functions include:
- Perform general administrative duties including screening and routing incoming phone calls; greeting visitors; processing
mail and deliveries; maintaining office supplies and equipment; scheduling, setting up, and taking notes during meetings; making travel arrangements; maintaining files; keeping the physical office space neat and well-supplied; coordinating intern onboarding; and acting as the IT liaison for the Richmond Office.
- Provide specific administrative support for the Virginia Executive Director and Virginia Staff Attorney. Tasks may include tracking bills and preparing reports on legislation of interest proposed by the Virginia General Assembly; coordinating legal intern recruiting, including on-campus interviews and job fairs by local law schools; and creating materials for public presentations and other matters.
- Act as an assistant for our outreach and restoration program staff, including helping to organize and order supplies and other resources, answering inquiries from volunteers, attending weekend and weeknight events as needed and on occasion, ensuring we promote our activities to diverse constituencies, and other activities to ensure the success of our outreach and
- Help plan logistics for a variety of events including internal staff meetings, overnight staff retreats, offsite external meetings, etc. This can include travel arrangements, lodging, event space rentals, set up, breakdown, coordinating caterers, engaging audio visual technicians, etc.
- Act as the Virginia expert on using all modules in our volunteer and event tracking database system including using it for queries, reports, events, and registration. Train other staff and act as a resource to them on using the system.
- Work to ensure that systems, organizational culture, and practices are aligned with CBF’s mission, values and commitments related to DEIJ.
- Develop and refine programs and activities to ensure equitable practices and support the development of a diverse and effective team.
- Ensure an inclusive working environments that supports diverse populations
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
One year of experience in an administrative position, which includes contact with the public. Ability to learn and apply CBF’s procedures and to become familiar about CBF’s issues. Excellent oral and written communication skills needed. Proficient with standard office equipment (copier, phone systems), computer systems, and MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships. Ability to recognize, nurture, and learn from strengths in co-workers. Having flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, whether it be from home, on the road, or in an office.
Salary Range: $40,000
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contribution.
CBF requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The successful candidate will need to submit verification of vaccination or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
- Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
- Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
- Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
- Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.