- Deadline: February 28, 2018
- Send cover letter, resume with salary requirements and references to email@example.com.
The Virginia Director is responsible for consulting with, coordinating and representing the Chesapeake Bay Commission, and specifically the members of the Virginia Delegation, on Chesapeake Bay-related matters. The Virginia Director is a senior position and has significant responsibilities both within the State of Virginia and throughout the Bay Program as needed by the Commission. The Virginia Director reports to and is directly responsible to the Executive Director, and also works directly with and for the Chairman of the CBC Virginia Delegation on any Virginia Bay policy matters. The Virginia Director may take on additional tasks related to Bay restoration matters that are needed by the Virginia Division of Legislative Services provided that there is advance agreement with the Commission.
Support the Commission’s Virginia and Tri-state Legislative and Policy Initiatives:
- Researching and analyzing Chesapeake Bay restoration and recommending and developing policy matters for the Commission and for the Virginia Delegation.
- Planning agendas and presenting information at quarterly Commission meetings and at meetings of the Virginia Delegation.
- Assisting in preparations for, attending and participating in all four quarterly Commission meetings.
- Representing the Commission and serving on Chesapeake Bay Program Goal Implementation Teams, public forums and task forces, as well as Virginia stakeholder committees for Bay-related activities.
- Working cooperatively with state and federal agencies and the U.S. Congress on regional initiatives related to Bay restoration activities.
- Regularly briefing the Virginia Delegation members, the Executive Director and staff on ongoing and emerging Bay policy matters.
- Drafting speeches for Commission members on Bay-related issues as requested.
- Participating regularly in CBC staff meetings and conference calls.
- Writing and editing the annual report and other Commission publications or presentations, as assigned.
- Handle press inquiries on issues related to Commission business. For issues without clear CBC policy, press will be directed to the Executive Director.
- Handling day-to-day operations and correspondence, as needed.
- Reviewing and translating complex scientific information on Chesapeake Bay restoration for Commission members and the public.
- Assisting the Executive Director in determining recommended Commission positions on regional issues of concern.
- Educating stakeholders and the public on the history, purpose, and accomplishments of the Commission.
Support the Work of the Virginia Delegation to the Commission:
- Identify emerging issues and policy opportunities for the Virginia Delegation members and other members of the Virginia Assembly.
- Maintain contact with and monitor the activities of the Virginia General Assembly, Virginia and federal regulatory agencies, and other critical stakeholder groups.
- Coordinate special briefings and meetings of the Delegation, and provide staff support for these meetings.
- Staff the legislative activities of the Virginia Delegation. Provide drafting support for Commission-sponsored legislation. Monitor, analyze and prepare testimony on legislation of concern to the Commission. Provide analysis and briefing materials for the Virginia Delegation on Bay restoration policies.
- Provide programmatic and administrative support for any study committee or legislative reviews requested by the General Assembly and assigned to the Virginia Delegation.
- Assist the Chairman and members of the Delegation on Chesapeake Bay-related matters, as needed.
Coordinate with Virginia Division of Legislative Services:
- Coordinate with the VDLS Director and other staff of Legislative Services to identify and research Chesapeake Bay issues and policy matters that would be mutually beneficial to both the Commission and the Virginia General Assembly.
- Coordinate with the VDLS Director and staff, in coordination with the Delegation, to prepare briefings and other materials on Bay-related topics of interest to the members of the Virginia Assembly.