Virtual Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader- MobilizeGreen (Washington, D.C)
Join Us. Do work that matters!
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent college graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the US Forest Service, MobilizeGreen is launching the 2021 Virtual Youth Conservation Corps, a national program, that will engage 120 youth who have been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic in a variety of educational and skills based activities, including but not limited to environmental education, professional development, exploring public lands, service projects, and self-care. With a focus on engaging BIPOC youth, MobilizeGreen’s YCC program will provide an introduction to Conservation careers, opening doors for youth typically underrepresented in this field. Four crews, each consisting of 30 youth will participate in15-20 hours of programming a week.
Position Abstract: Crew Leaders will be responsible for assisting with curriculum and program development, leading crews in programming sessions, and working with youth individually and in small groups as a mentor for individual and group projects.
Work Environment and location: The position is 100% virtual.
- $500 per week stipend
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage with MobilizeGreen staff and and partners to implement the 2021 YCC virtual program comprised of 4 crews
- lead the virtual crew including development of tailored, interactive virtual-based, learning programs.
- Develop and facilitate curriculum content with youth, specifically content related to climate resilience, sustainability, careers in the outdoor sector, recreating outdoors, public lands, and professional development such as resume building, interviewing skills, leadership skills, college readiness and more
- Coordinate meetings times with youth to mentor on individual and small group projects
- Communicate effectively with Program Manager and Head Crew Leader
- Coordinate sessions with others including partners and panel participants
- Organize and store program materials digitally as directed by Program Manager
- Other duties as specified
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 2 years out of high school. Current college students and recent college grads preferred.
- 2-3 seasons leading youth in formal or informal education, camp or team setting.
- Experience in environmental education and outdoor leadership skills.
- Experience working virtually, including ability to use Zoom and G Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage youth in programming
- Dedicated commitment to making the outdoors accessible to underrepresented youth.
- Experience and ability to create content about climate resilience, sustainability, careers in the outdoor sector, recreating outdoors, public lands, and more…
- Has knowledge and experience with cultural competency that can be applied to working with diverse youth including BIPOC and LGBTQ youth.
- Experience working with tribes and or tribal youth preferred
- Ability to work both independently and with others collaboratively on projects.
- Deep interest in environment/natural resource management and the U.S. Forest Service.
- Self-motivated, organized, and proactive.
Preference given to applications received by 4/23
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.