Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
Volunteer Naturalists will assist Irvine’s Environmental Educators as they lead groups of children ranging in age from PreK-12th grade through nature-themed field trips. Each field trip will include a hike through Irvine’s trails, in addition to varying educational activities that will be outlined in the curriculum.
• Attend a fall or spring training course, consisting of two half-days
• Assist with at least 5 field trips during first season (Fall or Spring) and then a minimum of 9 total throughout the year
• Independently supervise groups of 8-12 children on trail
• Attend seasonal update meetings as needed
• Physical demands include being able to hike up to 2 miles in varying weather conditions
• Completion of training course
• Prior experience working with children
• A strong interest in environmental conservation and natural history
• Ability to communicate knowledge of themed environmental topics in a child-friendly manner
• Must have Monday – Friday availability
• Able to help mornings from 9:30-12:30 (when most field trips are run)
• Willing to lead a minimum of 5 field trips during your first season (10-20 hours) and a total of 9 field trips throughout the year (18-36 hours)
Field trips last between 2 and 4 hours. Please plan to arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the scheduled walk time to gather needed materials. Plan to stay 15-30 minutes after the completion of the walk to clean up materials used and debrief with staff and other volunteers.
* Position is always open, but training sessions take place in early fall and spring. If you miss the training for the season, we may be able to train you individually on a case-by-case basis.
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.