Educators are trained to work with all programs (school, university, adult and family, and summer camp programs) and will work with learners of all levels, including K-12 students, college students, and adult learners. Field Station Educators primarily work with school and summer camp programs, but will assist with all other programs. You will gain valuable and diverse knowledge regarding aquarium and field equipment use and maintenance, boat crew skills and boat safety, group leadership in laboratory and field settings, time management and marine husbandry.
• Primarily lead School Programs, Summer Camps, and Special Programs. Will also assist with Road Scholar Programs, College Programs, and Outreach programs.
• Function as primary educator on our boat programs with Daisey’s Charters.
• Mostly work with school aged students, but will get the chance to work with groups of all ages, including adult learners
• Will have the opportunity to design summer camp classes and curriculum. Will lead and teach all summer camp classes. Will assist summer camp counselors in evening programs and meals.
• Will lead outdoor activities such as hikes, kayak trips, birding, beach walks, and other activities.
• In charge of set- up, take down, cleaning and organizing program areas
• Work on weekly program maintenance tasks during non-program time including cleaning materials, office work, updated curriculum, and other necessary tasks.
• Drive Field Station vehicles including 15 passenger vans and school buses. (Commercial Driver’s License must be obtained as part of training). Will learn to drive Field Station kayak and bike trailers
• Coordinate group check-ins and check-outs
• Prepare equipment, labs, and housing for use. In charge of clean up for labs and equipment after use.
• Enforce Field Station protocols and rules on Field Station property and in the field.
• Clean and provide routine maintenance for field and lab equipment. Clean and maintain aquaria.
• Responsible for customer service for program participants
• Actively interact with and supervise participants, giving them undivided attention.
• Represent the Field Station at outreach opportunities and special events
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum BA or BS Degree
• Comfortable working long hours outdoors and on boats with learners of all ages
• Teaching experience and/or leadership experience
• Ability to pass background check in order to obtain NASA security clearance.
• Valid driver’s license with 2 or fewer moving violations in the past 2 years and no DUI or DWI charges
• Must be willing and able to obtain a VA Commercial Driver’s License and drive full-size school buses and 15 passenger vans after starting position