Hiring Range: $18.70
Pay Band: Wage/Hourly
Agency: Dept of Environmental Quality
Agency Website: www.deq.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public – G
The Water Monitoring and Watershed Specialist positions are seasonal hourly positions limited to 480 hours and not eligible for state benefits. The
positions are located throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Department of Environmental Quality seeks multiple seasonal wage staff to provide field, lab, and office assistance in various office locations.
Seasonal wage positions are science, environmental, and technical related positions.
This Seasonal Wage Program provides an opportunity to gain experience working in a challenging and rewarding position that provides real work
experience within a variety of scientific and technical disciplines as well as geographic areas. These positions work directly with other scientific
professionals and environmental managers to create a work experience that contributes to your scientific studies, potential career goals,
developmental needs, and serves as an opportunity to network with other scientific and environmental professionals.
Duties may include one or a combination of the following duties:
• Collecting ambient water and biological samples.
• Using water monitoring sampling equipment and analytical instrumentation (field and lab).
• Processing water and benthic samples.
• Reviewing and summarizing scientific data.
• Assisting with scientific field visits and inspections.
• Assisting in the generation of writing scientific field and inspection reports.
• Handling live aquatic organisms, and using knowledge of fish and aquatic organism identification.
• Assisting with air pollution sources.
• Assisting with air quality monitoring devices.
• Managing databases and digital mapping.
• Collecting and identifying fish.
• Assisting with general office, laboratory, and field tasks.
• Completion of college coursework in biology, chemistry, ecology, engineering, environmental science, geology, hydrology or related science or field.
• Knowledge of environmental field sampling, field safety and general laboratory safety procedures.
• Knowledge of general laboratory analytical procedures/protocols.
• Ability to work independently and work collaboratively within a team environment.
• Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and GIS.
• Data coordination and analysis experience including emerging technologies (like R and Python)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to follow oral and written directions with precision and accuracy.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds and to work outside in summer heat or other adverse weather conditions, ability ambulating mountainous
terrain and uneven flowing stream bottoms, and working on boats may be required for some positions.
The Application Process: Individuals desiring to be considered for this position must submit a completed employment application or you may attach a resume before the position’s closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to be
specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.
DEQ Values Veterans: DEQ is a proud member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, authorized under the Code of
Virginia (§2.2-2001.2). We are committed to recruiting, hiring, and retaining qualified Veterans and their spouses. Veterans who are hired into state
positions may be eligible for additional leave accruals based on their total years of service in the military, National Guard or Reserve.
For more information please visit: https://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeebenefits
Our Commitment: DEQ is an equal opportunity employer by both policy and practice. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work
environment with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. All applicants are considered for employment without
regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic
information, or against otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. It is DEQ’s intent that its employment and personnel policies and practices
conform to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. DEQ will provide if requested, reasonable
accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is
needed, please contact DEQ Human Resources Office at 804-698-4000.