Biohabitats is seeking an engineer with a solid foundation in the principles of ecological restoration, green infrastructure, and nature-based design. The successful candidate will support a variety of public, private, and institutional projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, from concept design through construction documents and implementation, with an opportunity to collaborate on projects led out of other Biohabtiats’ Bioregion offices. Projects will vary in type, scale, and complexity and may include stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; stormwater management and green infrastructure design; and dam removal and fish passage projects.
Applicants must not only be motivated and technically skilled, but also passionate about restoring the earth and inspiring ecological stewardship. We provide outstanding benefits. Click on ‘Learn about our benefits’ on our Careers page to find out more.
Role & Responsibilities
- Supporting a range of planning and design projects (stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration; climate resilience; stormwater management and green infrastructure design; and dam removal and fish passage projects).
- Creating site-specific concept designs.
- Preparing construction documents, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Providing construction phase services (e.g. bid support, construction observation).
- Conducting natural resources and watershed inventories and field assessments.
- Providing other technical project support as needed.
Required Experience & Skills
- Professional experience related to stream, wetland, and shoreline restoration projects.
- Applied experience supporting design projects from concept through construction drawings and implementation.
- Proficient in the use of hydrologic and hydraulic modeling programs (e.g. TR-55/TR-20, HEC-RAS, SWMM, HydroCAD).
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD, ArcGIS, and Microsoft 365 Suite.
- Ability to support or lead field assessments under a variety of weather and site conditions.
- Ability to work both collaboratively in a team environment and independently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Helpful Experience & Skills
- Professional experience related to dam removal and fish passage projects.
- Professional experience related to climate resilience, stormwater management, and green infrastructure design projects.
- Geomorphic assessment knowledge and experience.
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in relevant engineering (e.g. Civil, Environmental, or Ecological)
Years of Experience
5-10 years relevant ecological restoration experience
PE or ability to obtain through reciprocity within six months of hire date
$85,000 – $95,000 (negotiable)
Baltimore, MD or Middletown, CT
Provide 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume in .PDFs not to exceed 5MD. Applications without these components will not be considered.
Biohabitats is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a purpose-driven, performance oriented, and values led organization. As an EEO Employer, Biohabitats encourages all experience levels to apply to our job postings. We are a certified B-Corp™, meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. To ensure that you will thrive at Biohabitats, we highly encourage you to review our Mission, Values, and Approach before applying.