Waterkeepers Chesapeake- Communications Intern Spring 2019
March 1, 2019
Communications Intern Spring 2019
Waterkeepers Chesapeake (WKC) seeks a part-time Communications Intern. We anticipate needing a minimum of 5 hours each week, usually 1 hour each weekday, to maintain our social media presence. Our ideal candidate will have the capacity to work up to 10 hours a week, as needed, for special projects.
This position is open until filled. Before applying, please check http://www.waterkeeperschesapeake.org/about-us/employment-opportunities to ensure that it is still available. We will remove this listing from the site as soon as the position is filled.
Salary: $15/ hour, no benefits
Hours: 5-10 hours per week
Duration: Now through May, 2019 (potential to extend)
Location: This is a work-from-home position (intern must have access to a computer, internet connection, and phone service)
- Create daily social media posts for Waterkeepers Chesapeake as a whole and our Fair Farms and forthcoming Clear Choices Clean Water campaigns specifically.
- Monitor social media accounts of our 18 Waterkeeper members and repost/retweet/share as appropriate.
- Work with WKC staff to create and execute more in-depth communications campaigns, including through social media, our websites, email, and action alert platforms.
- Assist with website content as part of the process of updating our site.
- Update and maintain social media accounts as needed.
- Data entry or migration involved in maintaining current contact lists, etc.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Competence using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (personal experience is fine!)
- Competence using Microsoft Office Suite as well as Google Drive applications
- Ability to devote 5-10 hours each week to WKC
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and supervisor remotely
- Must be responsible, organized, and motivated
- Passion for WKC’s mission
- Basic design skills (meme creation) a plus but not required
- Experience with Hootsuite and Action Network a plus but not required
Intern Competencies Gained/ Enhanced
- Experience working with a small, nonprofit organization
- Develop or enhance social media skills in a professional context
- Exposure to the Mid-Atlantic environmental community
- Increased knowledge of environmental issues, regulation, and policy
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your application to be considered, your subject line must include your full name then “_Comms Internship Application.” Your cover letter should briefly address each requirement listed above, explain why you are interested in the position, demonstrate that you have done very basic research to familiarize yourself with Waterkeepers Chesapeake, and provide information on how we can contact you for an interview if selected.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and those from communities most impacted by environmental injustice are strongly encouraged to apply.