Waterkeepers Chesapeake (WKC) seeks a mission-driven coalition leader who shares and can help shape our vision of a powerful and inclusive Waterkeeper movement in the Chesapeake and coastal bays region that protects local communities, rivers, and streams from pollution.
We seek a leader who demonstrates and values collaboration, and brings the passion, skills, and enthusiasm needed to lead our 5-person team and work with and support our 17 Waterkeeper members. The Executive Director reports to WKC’s Board of Directors. In partnership with member Waterkeepers and the Board of Directors, the Executive Director creates, updates and implements the organization’s strategic vision and plan. The Executive Director plays a pivotal role in forging new and important partnerships in the broader community, including within the funding community, representing our coalition’s vision, values, and strategies effectively. We seek an experienced candidate who values environmental protection, and who is committed to centering racial justice at the intersection of water protection, access, and equity.
Key Leadership Qualities
- Movement building: Commitment to coalition building and supporting a collective action plan centered on the member Waterkeepers;
- Equity-focused: Ensures strategies produce equitable outcomes, and ensure equitable membership, engagement, and participation;
- Political savvy: Deep understanding of policy-making systems and how to influence them;
- Project management: Supports implementation of common agenda across member Waterkeepers and partners, holding individuals and groups accountable for action commitments;
- Inclusive culture builder: Effective communicator and trusted facilitator who engages, motivates, celebrates, and resolves differences and conflicts among diverse partners, especially for the member Waterkeepers.
Who we are: Waterkeepers Chesapeake fights for clean water and a healthy environment by supporting a coalition of 17 Waterkeepers throughout the Chesapeake and coastal regions as they protect their communities, rivers, and streams from pollution.
Statistics show that women and people of underrepresented groups are more likely to apply to jobs only when they meet 100% of the job qualifications. We encourage individuals to break those statistics. No candidate ever meets 100% of the requested qualifications. We look forward to your application. Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer.
The location of the position is flexible within 30 miles of the Washington, DC metro area. We are a hybrid workplace, with most staff working remotely, and our office is located in Silver Spring, MD.
Full job notice & how to apply: https://waterkeeperschesapeake.org/job-notice-waterkeepers-chesapeake-executive-director/