Title: Watershed Restoration Associate
Location: Field (location varies throughout the Rock Creek watershed, primarily in DC) Reports to: Senior Watershed Restoration Coordinator
Type: Hourly, non-exempt; through September 2023, 30-40 hours/week are expected
Schedule: Tuesday and Saturday 10am – 6pm; Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday 9am – 5pm (hours may shift seasonally and with weather conditions)
Watershed Restoration Associates support the Conservancy’s mission to restore Rock Creek through a wide range of direct restoration activities, including green infrastructure maintenance, vegetation management (invasive plant removal), and general maintenance.
Major responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspect and document the condition of green infrastructure facilities, including rain gardens, bioswales, and conservation landscaping
- Perform maintenance as needed on green infrastructure facilities, including weeding, sediment removal, mulching, and planting
- Canvass homes to educate residents about DC Water’s Downspout Disconnection program
- Document and audit homes for Downspout Disconnection program eligibility
- Identify and remove non-native invasive vines, herbs, and woody plants from natural areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to transport self to a worksite each day (location will vary, primarily in NW DC)
- Reliable and punctual, capable of regular attendance
- Able to work as a member of a team and perform individual tasks
- Able to stand for long periods and walk up to three miles per shift
- Willing and able to lift up to fifty pounds
- Willing to occasionally use power tools (training and PPE will be provided)
- Willing to work outdoors, including in conditions that range from cold to hot and humid.
- Able to professionally communicate with homeowners and co-workers
- Able to carefully document data in digital and analog formats
- Excellent attention to detail
- A valid driver’s license
- Experience in and/or knowledge of green infrastructure, landscaping, plant identification, ArcGIS
- Knowledge of customer service, or environmental advocacy, best practices
- Certification from the National Green Infrastructure Program and/or Chesapeake Bay Landscape Program (both offered to employees)
- First Aid & CPR/AED certification is a plus; will be provided if needed
To Apply Rock Creek Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position and your name in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Hourly rate for the position starts at $19/hour; increases are offered with NGICP and CBLP certifications.
About Rock Creek Conservancy: Rock Creek Conservancy is a watershed organization protecting Rock Creek and the philanthropic and stewardship partner to the entirety of Rock Creek (National) Park. The Conservancy’s mission is to restore Rock Creek and its parklands as a natural oasis for all people to appreciate and protect.