The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) seeks a Webmaster/Digital Content Specialist to join its Communications Office, to help share the wonder of science and the natural world with its online communities! The Webmaster will work with a dynamic team of researchers and public engagement specialists at SERC, including environmental educators, citizen science coordinators, ecologists and science writers. They will also have access to a wide network of Smithsonian webmasters, social media managers and other digital specialists who share both informal and formal training opportunities. They will report directly to Kristen Goodhue, SERC Public Affairs Specialist.
This position is based at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Edgewater, Maryland. SERC is a research center of the Smithsonian Institution, located on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, approximately 10 miles south of Annapolis, 40 miles west of Washington, D.C., and 40 miles south of Baltimore. The SERC campus contains 2,650 acres of forest, agricultural areas, wetlands and streams, and sits directly on the Rhode River. Some telework options are available, though the incumbent should be based locally (within 50 miles of the SERC campus).
The Webmaster will provide IT system support and media production services, with a focus on web development, content management, social media outreach and digital innovation projects. Rsponsibilities include:
- Provide technical support for SERC’s various websites, including the main website (https://serc.si.edu), the SERC Shorelines blog (https://sercblog.si.edu), the North American Orchid Conservation Center (https://northamericanorchidcenter.org/) and Ecosystems on the Edge (https://ecosystemsontheedge.org).
- Create and manage digital content, including both text and multimedia, for SERC websites, social media, YouTube and other applications
- Plan digital innovation projects, such as email and advertising campaigns, social media initiatives, mobile apps and visitor experiences
- Convert or migrate existing web content from old to new sites as needed
- Generate reports on web analytics and user data, to gain new insights into SERC’s digital audiences
- Train SERC staff in website operations as needed
- Maintain ties with the Smithsonian’s Office of the Chief Information Officer and other Smithsonian-wide digital departments, for trainings and other initiatives
The SERC community recognizes the value of diversity in promoting innovative science and creative solutions, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We recognize that each applicant will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences and background to these positions. The Smithsonian Institution is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital/parental/caregiver status and disability.
Candidates for this position should be U.S. citizens or have a current visa/status that permits employment in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least two years of experience in information technology, digital content creation or a related field
- Ability to work as part of a team to design projects, carry them to completion and solve problems when they arise
- Ability to manage Drupal- and WordPress-based websites, including implementing security updates and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS
- Ability to create and edit photos and video, and format them for different platforms
- Ability to keep informed of new developments in information technology, and seek out training opportunities as needed
We encourage candidates who have some, but not necessarily all, of these to apply
- Knowledge of core values in digital outreach, such as accessibility, inclusivity and responsive design
- Experience using GitHub to manage websites
- Ability to produce engaging, accurate content about technical topics for multiple audiences
- Experience doing website work for a science or environmental organization
To apply: Send resume and cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience to Kristen Goodhue at SERC-DigitalSpecialist@si.edu, by Monday, April 11.