The What Lives in the Harbor program at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland provides local college/university students with an opportunity to work with Baltimore City 6th grade students to learn about and test water quality in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.
This internship runs from March 10th- May 21st, Monday-Friday, 9AM-2PM, and interns should have availability at least once a week during that time.
Intern responsibilities include teaching 6th grade students about the Chesapeake Bay watershed and human impacts on water quality; setting up, running, and breaking down water quality testing stations; and monitoring student behavior.
Interns will help students measure turbidity, dissolved oxygen, salinity, temperature, and pH from the Aquarium pier. Once students have collected data, interns help students determine what animals may be able to live in the harbor under those conditions. Interns will also help students see the human impact on water quality and give them ideas on how it can be improved so they can implement a successful action project in their neighborhood.
Applicants must be enrolled in a college or university to be eligible for this internship opportunity. Please submit your resume and answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 25, 2022.
- Why have you chosen to apply for this internship?
- Can you elaborate on any experience you may have working with middle school students or any other grades?
- What is a conservation or environmental issue that you are passionate about?
- What are you hoping to gain from this internship?
- What is your availability March 10th- May 21st, Monday-Friday, 9AM-2PM (please provide a complete schedule of availability)?
If selected, you must be able to complete the following before you begin:
- Background check (we will cover the fee)
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Attend mandatory National Aquarium onboarding training
- Attend mandatory onsite training for the What Lives in the Harbor program
Interns will receive a $14/hr. stipend, free parking or MTA pass while working, free entry to the aquarium, and a discount to our gift shop and cafe for the duration of the internship.
Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.