Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, MobilizeGreen seeks an Conservation Crew Leader for the Youth Conservation Corps. The Crew Leader is responsible for co-leading a team of 4 diverse high-school youth to work on conservation-related projects and participate in environmental education and leadership development activities at the Patuxent Research Refuge over an 11-week period.
MobilizeGreen is a nonprofit organization focused on jumpstarting green careers for diverse students, through internships, mentoring, and youth engagement. At MobilizeGreen, we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Consistent with this mission, we believe people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We are working hard to increase the diversity in conservation spaces and strongly encourage qualified BIPOC and LGBTQ+ candidates to apply.
The Patuxent Research Refuge is part of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Wildlife Refuge System and part of the Urban Refuge System. With land surrounding the Patuxent and Little Patuxent rivers between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD, the 12,841 acre refuge supports a wide diversity of wildlife in forest, meadow and wetland habitats.
The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. The Crew Leader will facilitate student and group safety, personal development, environmental education, and work project management. Crew Leaders also represent MobilizeGreen on-site and coordinate with partners on designated projects. The crew will work with the Facilities, Biological, and Management teams to restore wildlife habitat and maintain infrastructure.
Term: June 7-August 22, 2021 M-F 40hrs/week (with several possible occasional Saturday events)
11 total weeks. Including training, program planning, and post-program wrap up.
- Hands-on training and learning experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Crew Members during all program activities and projects
- Provide an emotionally and physically safe environment in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards and Covid Policies
- Work with co-leader to manage group dynamics of the crew
- Assist with Environmental Education and teambuilding lessons during crew days
Service Project Advisor
- Train and supervise Crew Members in safe and proper use of tools and all aspects of the service project (including habitat restoration through fence removal, beautification, gardening, and painting and lite carpentry.)
- Facilitate worksite and project, tool and equipment logistics; tool maintenance; and work schedule in partnership with MobilizeGreen and refuge Staff.
- Care for and maintain all program equipment and tools used in project.
- Manage administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily work logs, incident reports, equipment inventories, evaluations and final report.
- Communicate with full-time MobilizeGreen and refuge staff as required and as needed to report incidents & near misses, and program evaluations.
Other duties as assigned
Requirements During Term of Service:
- Uphold and act in accordance with MobilizeGreen’s Field Operations Standards
- Communicate effectively with MobilizeGreen staff, parents, agency partners, and co- leader during program
- Participate fully in Crew Leader Orientation and any safety trainings.
- Maintain positive relationship with agency partners.
- Provide emotionally and physically safe environment for members.
- Complete all necessary weekly and post-program paperwork, including an end of program debrief with MobilizeGreen Staff.
- Youth/Young Adult Programming- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching / Leadership- Experience working in an informal or formal educational environment or equivalent. Demonstrated ability to organize and effectively teach lessons, motivate teenage and/or young adult students, provide and accept constructive feedback and communicate effectively.
- Outdoor Education / Skills- Experience / familiarity with outdoor skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, Leave No Trace, etc.
- Conservation Project Skills- Experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use. May also include experience with carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
- a valid driver’s license with no major violations w/in past 3 years
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- US Citizen or Legally able to work in US
- Must be 21 years old as of June 7, 2021
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This is physically demanding work. The work conditions are challenging and require the ability to handle strenuous work conditions, such as steep terrain, as well as environmental conditions, including rain and extreme heat. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Crew Leaders will be expected to stand, walk, and carry gear for up to 8 hours per day while keeping morale up among members.
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer with a mission focused on diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.