Address environmental issues. Fight poverty. Experience Appalachia. Become an OSM/VISTA Leader.
The Appalachian Coal Country Team (ACCT) is seeking an energetic and team oriented individual interested in environmental stewardship and community development to serve as the Office of Surface Mining/Volunteer In Service To America (OSM/VISTA) Leader for the Northern Coalfields. The OSM/VISTA Leader will support and lead a team of dedicated Volunteers serving in Appalachian communities, particularly Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia. This exciting leadership opportunity will be based in the heart of Appalachia in Beckley, WV. Here are just some of the roles of an OSM/VISTA Leader:
• Support field OSM/VISTAs working on environmental and revitalization projects, clean water education events and polluted water remediation throughout Appalachia.
• Coordinate with the Southern Coalfields VISTA Leader and staff to recruit and train VISTA members, provide technical assistance, organize teleconferences and trainings, and mentor VISTAs through personal challenges
• Develop funding strategies to support the team including brownfield work, reforestation, alternative energy projects, sewer infrastructure projects, the summer intern program and others.
• Attend environmental, water, or mining conferences and present information on the challenges in Appalachia and the ACCT’s role in helping communities overcome these challenges
• Travel throughout Appalachia to provide on site orientation and support for the field OSM/VISTAs.
Please forward this opening to others who may be interested and contact ACCT VISTA Leader Shannon Philbin (email@example.com) or ACCT Program Coordinator Andrew Barnes (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
To apply send your resume and a two to three page nonfiction writing sample (any subject) to Shannon or Andy and visit the attached link to view the position description, register, and complete an online AmeriCorps application. When you have completed your application, hit the Submit Final Application button. Your information will automatically be sent to our office.