- Are you creative and intuitive in your approach to people and processes?
- Do you enjoy using technology to get the job done?
- Are you looking for a job where your extensive HR knowledge is valued?
If this sounds like you, The Montgomery County Department of Parks-Management Services Division is the place you want to be for your next Adventure and career challenge! We are seeking a motivated and highly organized mid-level professional Deputy Department Human Resources Manager to perform a broad range of consultative, analytical and administrative assignments throughout the Parks Department. This is a key role for assisting the Department Human Resources Manager in building a diverse, successful, informed and productive workforce. The position must be resourceful and highly proficient at driving effective communications, organizational change, and employee engagement. This position reports directly to the Parks Department Human Resources Manager, resides in our Headquarters Building in Wheaton, MD and has a Hybrid work schedule. Go to our website to learn more about the work of the Parks Department:
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner. As a part of that Bi-County Commission, the Montgomery County Department of Parks has a career staff complement of over 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. We manage 420 parks on over 37,000 acres of parkland. Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/
Examples of Important Duties
Human Resources Management:
- Acquires a detailed understanding of the organization’s hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors.
- Applies applicable labor laws, guidelines, rules & regulations, policies, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Develops solutions, programs and policies by analyzing trends and key metrics across the Department.
- Monitors Departmental HR performance. Conducts compliance audits and develops solutions.
- Partners with the Commission Legal Department as needed to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provides HR policy/procedure, workforce planning, leadership planning, and compensation guidance and interpretation to employees and management staff.
- Develops and delivers targeted training programs.
Employee and Labor Relations:
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships and morale.
- Develops demonstrated proficiency in using Department and Commission information systems.
- Conducts effective, detailed and objective investigations of complex employee relations issues.
- Provides HR guidance to employees, managers, and supervisors using superb customer service.
- Leads initiatives as requested by the Human Resources Manager or Division Chief.
- Serves as principal coordinator for the 11 Divisional HR Business Partners/Coordinators within the Department that serve our 800 full-time employees and nearly 400 Seasonal employees.
- Plans and delivers bi-monthly update and training meetings for HR Staff in the Department.
- Maintains effective relationships with Commission Units that serve our Bi-County Departments
- Department lead for digital HR document control initiatives and training.
- Ensures all reference documents, forms, and resources related to HR processes are current on the Department file-sharing platform.
- Creates and presents ideas, reports, and presentations in various formats to employees and Senior Management.
- Fills in for HR Manager in an acting role in times of absence or unavailability.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge and skill in applying the principles, methods, techniques and practices of effective Human Resources Management.
- Collaborative with a strong work ethic, strategic and situational awareness, excellent communication, creative thinking and people skills.
- Communicates and interacts effectively with all partners. Proven history in approaching and interacting with people of all backgrounds and the ability to think collaboratively with senior members of the organization.
- Ability to work with highly confidential documents and data while ensuring discretion. Proven organizational, coordination, and workload management skills and abilities.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Proficient in up-to-date office software (MS Office), enterprise software and specialized programs for planning, scheduling, communicating, word processing, collecting and reporting data, preparing presentations, researching and document control.
- A bachelor’s degree in HR Management, Labor Relations, Business Administration, Organizational Development or related field and eight (8) years of experience in Human Resources positions with a diverse workforce.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing data-driven initiatives, effective communications, and organizational change.
- PHR or SPHR Professional Certification in Human Resources Management preferred.
- Ability to communicate in another language a Plus!
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management, Finance, Business or any related field.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in Human Resource Management, finance or any related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 8 years.
Work is performed in an office, park setting or partner sites. May work outdoors on an incidental basis. Work is primarily sedentary and requires very light to light physical effort. May be subject to various job demands such as high volume of work to be managed and tight deadlines.
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
* Competitive Employment Sign-on Bonus and Employee Referral Program available
(Commensurate with education, experience and other MNCPPC eligibility criteria).
* This is a Hybrid Workplace Position
* Very flexible and competitive benefits package available!