Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
This internship is UNPAID, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution. This is an unpaid internship position. Interns with our Earth Friends Outdoors Homeschool Program work with children 4.5-12 yrs old while they attend weekly nature-based outdoor classes. They serve as teaching aides to help facilitate nature-based play and investigation in an environment that values hands-on learning, risky play, and getting muddy. Duties include assisting children with self-help skills, facilitating social interaction and cooperation, engaging in play with children, assisting with outdoor exploration, and helping with set-up and clean-up. Interns must be physically capable of hiking up to two miles per day. Interns also collaborate with the Early Childhood Education staff and Director in completing a project to benefit the program and its students or families. All interns must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, complete a background check and attend an orientation.
• Assist the two class teachers in leading 12-wk session classes of 8-14 students, aged 4.5-12 yrs old
• Set up materials for the class
• Participate in and supervise nature play and investigations
• Provide group management with the assistance of teachers
• Provide 1:1 assistance to students needing help with an activity or in need of a break
• Clean up materials after class
• Experience and/or strong desire to work with children ages 3-5 years old
• Trust in children’s abilities and a willingness to step back and let them take the lead
• Enthusiasm and curiosity about the natural world
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Strong communications skills
• Positive attitude and professional demeanor
• Your own transportation
*Current First Aid/CPR helpful, but not required.
• Interns must be available for the duration of a class meeting time regularly for the majority of the 12 classes each season.
• Please note, classes are offered Monday-Thursday 9:30-12:30 and Tuesdays and Wednesdays 1:30-4pm. Therefore, interns must be available during these hours.
• Total internship hours vary depending on class length and availability to teach multiple classes. Total hours range 30-48 hours throughout the semester for each class.
TO APPLY: Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.