- Do you enjoy collaborating with a team to support your division?
- Are you creative and intuitive in your approach to multitasking?
If this sounds like you, The Montgomery County Department of Facilities Management Division, located in Gaithersburg, Maryland is the place you want to be! We are currently seeking a dynamic, highly professional Senior Trade Shop Supervisor for our HVACR shop to supervise and oversee the work of the HVACR team. Staff in these shops perform the following types of work: Installing, maintaining, and repairing of HVACR equipment. Renovations of park buildings and historic properties. Upgrading HVACR systems from gas and propane to electrical to be more energy efficient. This position reports directly to the Assistant Division Chief.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner. Behind the vast and diverse Montgomery County Department of Parks system is a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, 424 parks and almost 37,000 acres of park land that serves a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington DC area. Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Examples of Important Duties
Planning and Supervision of Projects
- Plans, schedules, manages, and assigns staff and other resources for work programs in an effective and efficient manner.
- Plans and supervises major projects in cooperation with other regions and crews.
- Reviews development plans in a timely manner and recommend changes as needed.
Administration and Supervision of Personnel
- Leads activities of skilled trades workers on difficult and complex projects.
- Identifies equipment, material, and supply needs.
- Conducts staff performance evaluations accurately and in a timely manner; communicates goals, objectives, and expectations.
- Responsible for adding labor, materials, and assigning work orders to the proper crew and/or person in the Enterprise Asset Management System daily.
- May serve in an acting capacity in the absence of the Assistant Division Chief.
Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Inspects and conducts preventative maintenance to machinery on a routine basis.
- Assigns and maintains inventory of equipment, materials, supplies, tools, safety equipment and vehicles assigned to crew.
- Performs advanced and complex skilled work; determines complex repairs and complies with historical preservation guidelines, as needed.
- Trains staff on equipment, procedures, and skills.
Important Skills and Characteristics
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships.
- Ability to read building and site plans.
- Possess knowledge of all types of HVAC applications including heat pumps, boilers, and mini splits.
- Skilled in problem solving to select, organize and logically process relevant information (verbal, numerical or abstract) to solve a problem.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Business Administration, Human Resources or Communications and four (4) years of related experience in Administrative Support or Business Administration in a large organization.
- Previous experience in directing crew and other personnel engaged in HVACR installation projects. Activities include troubleshooting all types of HVAC systems, installing heat pump units, boilers, and mini split units.
- Knowledge of Maryland Occupational Safety and Health (MOSH), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), fire, building, electrical, plumbing, and other codes, and practices used in operation and safety.
- Experience with MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) as it relates to paints and chemicals.
- Ability to communicate in another language is a plus.
- High School diploma or Certificate of General Educational Development (GED).
- Completion of approved apprentice program or four years of progressively responsible experience in a skilled trade.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience including at least two (2) years’ experience leading a crew or crews of trade workers or administering trade projects (e.g. procurement of materials, work scheduling, processing staff evaluations), and two (2) years of supervisory/ management experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 10 years.
- Master license or certification (issued by appropriate local jurisdiction) in related trade as applicable.
- Valid driver’s license in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
- Pass Commission medical examination.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.