The Visitor Services Associate assists with all aspects of visitor services and provides exemplary customer service at Historic Annapolis (HA) historic sites open to the public for interpretation. Duties include manning reception desks; processing transactions for admissions, membership, and public programs; collecting visitor statistics; maintaining site security; facilitating and giving tours, both inside and outside; assisting with logistics for public programs and events; and other duties as assigned.
• Assists with Museum and William Paca House and Garden reception and visitor services and maintains the highest standards of customer service for all visitors.
• Responds effectively and knowledgeably to questions from visitors regarding the organization, HA sites and exhibit information, planned programs/events, local tourist information, and membership and volunteer opportunities.
• Responsible for all opening and closing procedures for both the register/reception desk and the facilities of the William Paca House and Gardens, Hogshead, and HA Museum.
• Responsible for the accurate record of transactions on the cash register through our software platform (Altru) including, but not limited to, admissions, event tickets, merchandise sales, and membership sales and balance the day’s business in the appropriate manner.
• Provides in-depth and engaging tours of the William Paca House and Garden, Hogshead, and Museum.
• Answers the telephone and provides requested information. If unable to answer the question, VSAs forward the call to appropriate staff members, using good communication skills and working collaboratively to do so.
• Ensures organization, restock supplies, and clean as needed to optimize the appearance of the front desk areas.
• Participates in all aspects of set up/break down and staffing of HA events in support of the organization.
• Assists with administrative tasks and logistics for public, education, and fundraising programs.
• Is knowledgeable about HA membership levels and benefits and promotes HA membership sales.
• Would be able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds occasionally for set up needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
JOB SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION
• College preferred, high school or G.E.D. essential. Those with degrees in history, art history, museum studies, education, or related fields are encouraged to apply.
• A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in retail or customer/visitor service position.
• Demonstrated interest in and aptitude for providing high-quality educational content to a diverse general public.
• Dedicated commitment to the philosophy and mission of Historic Annapolis.
• Excellent customer service abilities, accuracy, enthusiasm, and productive work ethic.
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Effective knowledge of HA properties and programs as well as Annapolis tourism and restaurants.
• Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a diverse population of visitors and staff.
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, database system and Power Point required.
• Ability to follow policies, procedures, and instructions to accomplish assigned tasks accurately and appropriately.
• Demonstrate a desire and ability to function as a team player, including working a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate the needs of Historic Annapolis.
• Public speaking experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Historic Annapolis is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in the workplace. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental
disability, familial status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by state or federal law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Ms. Lucy Mikhailova at firstname.lastname@example.org.