Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The University of Maryland Extension seeks a Watershed Restoration Educator to carry out an educational outreach program in Calvert and St. Mary’s counties educating on watershed sciences and stormwater management. The Educator will perform a variety of duties and deliver educational activities including field days, fairs, meetings, field tours, workshops and seminars to a variety of stakeholders. Major responsibilities are listed below with an emphasis on providing support and assistance in implementing practices to help Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties meet their MS4 permit requirements and Chesapeake Bay TMDL WIP goals. This Educator may function in a “lead” role with regard to ongoing work, special projects and/or team-oriented assignments, along with carrying out their education and outreach programming. General supervision will be provided by the Assistant Director/Program Leader for UME’s Environment and Natural Resources Program and the Area Extension Director for Southern Maryland.
- Provide support in two of the six required elements of each County’s MS4 permit: Public Education and Outreach and Public Participation/Involvement;
- Create and manage a network of volunteers that are versed on local regulations and goals as they pertain to water quality for increasing visibility of each County’s work;
- Develop and conduct stormwater BMP-specific workshops and participate in annual public demonstration and engagement events;
- Track and report on small-scale stormwater BMPs for potential future inclusion into State and Federal TMDL/WIP reporting;
- Assist the County and local NGOs in acquisition of outside funding to support the implementation of small-scale stormwater projects;
- Work one-on-one with the County, property owners, and HOA’s to solve stormwater issues;
- Support all UME-Calvert and UME-St. Mary’s programs in responding to requests for information, including contributing to newsletters and reports, media contacts, information dissemination, UME marketing and distribution of written materials as needed;
- Participate as a team member or lead efforts with other faculty and staff to conduct educational programs that meet the needs of the citizens of Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties;
- Present topics and lead discussion at meetings, workshops and other program activities as needed;
- Participate in professional development opportunities to keep abreast of current research, educational methods, administrative procedures, etc.
See Attachment for more information